Re: SORBS blacklist

2011-07-01 12:08:54
David Morris <dwm(_at_)xpasc(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Jul 1, 2011, at 4:48 AM, John Leslie wrote:

mail.ietf.org[64.170.98.30] got listed on SORBS for spamming.

It's not that hard to get off... Fix it!

And from my own experience, I know it can be impossible to get removed
from SORBS if you are a small business subject to the whims of their
ISPs. AFAIK, no spam has ever originated from my networks but SORBS didn't
like something about my network addresses. I tried jumping through their
hoops but it was impossible.

   A reasonable contribution to this discussion. Indeed, a number of
folks have complained similarly.

   Alas, that's not enough for me to refuse to use SORBS for my customers
who ask for it. (I hear other reports of success at getting removed --
in particular, I have been told that mail.ietf.org has succeeded.)

   But my actual reply is to repeat that receivers can't bear the entire
cost of weaknesses in spam-abatement. If you wish to run a serious
mailing-list operation, you need to do your part.

   (BTW, I've never had trouble "fixing" blacklisting here -- but I do
change IP addresses if the "response" isn't fast enough...)

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>