Re: Comments surrounding draft-iab-dns-applications-01

2011-07-04 22:32:37
The naive approach of reversing the address, converting to nibbles
and appending a suffix won't scale.

For IPv6 if you did the reverse of /48, /52, /56, /60 and /64
prefixes, which matches delegation patterns along with NXDOMAIN
synthesis, you would still be fine.  You stop the search on NXDOMAIN
or data with perhaps a new value which says to continue searching
for white listed records.  One could even start with /32 if one is
worried about spammers pretending to be ISPs.

I don't necessarily disagree, but now you've just upgraded the DNS (NXDOMAIN synthesis is far from universal) and layered a probing protocol on top of it. We can have a theological argument about whether that counts as "using the DNS".

R's,
John