Re: Comments surrounding draft-iab-dns-applications-01

2011-07-05 01:25:50

In message
<alpine(_dot_)BSF(_dot_)2(_dot_)00(_dot_)1107042329060(_dot_)89019(_at_)joyce(_dot_)lan>,
 "John R. Levine" wri
tes:
The naive approach of reversing the address, converting to nibbles
and appending a suffix won't scale.

For IPv6 if you did the reverse of /48, /52, /56, /60 and /64
prefixes, which matches delegation patterns along with NXDOMAIN
synthesis, you would still be fine.  You stop the search on NXDOMAIN
or data with perhaps a new value which says to continue searching
for white listed records.  One could even start with /32 if one is
worried about spammers pretending to be ISPs.

I don't necessarily disagree, but now you've just upgraded the DNS
(NXDOMAIN synthesis is far from universal)

No, just application smarts is needed.  The DNS already supports this
and it has been used for over 1/2 a decade now.

and layered a probing protocol on top of it.  We can have a theological
argument about whether that counts as "using the DNS".

R's,
John
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org