Re: 6to4 to Experimental? (was: Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic)

2011-07-08 04:04:53
Keith,

The alternative that I proposed to IESG and to the chairs (and never received
any feedback about) was to reclassify 6to4 as Experimental.   Experimental
seems completely appropriate for a protocol that is useful, but only in
corner cases.  And I think it's also appropriate and useful to try to learn
from the experience with 6to4, even if we realize that 6to4 will never be a
generally applicable IPv6 transition solution again.

And maybe, just maybe, Experimental will be enough of a "slap" at 6to4 to
mollify the "kill it yesterday" crowd.  For one thing, it clearly indicates
that 6to4 is no longer a standard.

But in order to quieten down the discussion here, I suggest that people reply
to me privately if they can't live with this.   If I get lots of those
replies, I'll know that it's not worth pursuing.

"Experimental" is certainly better than:
 - nothing
 - spending months on hold as appeals are processed.

cheers,
Ole