6to4 to Experimental? (was: Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic)

2011-07-03 21:37:31
On Jul 3, 2011, at 4:57 PM, Ronald Bonica wrote:

Folks,

I think that I get it. There is no IETF consensus regarding the compromise
proposed below. So, at very least, we will have to abandon the compromise.

Right now, the only alternative that I see is to reintroduce
draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic and let the appeal process run its course.
I hate to do this, because the appeals process can be an incredible time sync
and distraction. If anybody sees another alternative, please propose it.

                                                             Ron
                                                            <speaking as AD>

The alternative that I proposed to IESG and to the chairs (and never received
any feedback about) was to reclassify 6to4 as Experimental.   Experimental
seems completely appropriate for a protocol that is useful, but only in corner
cases.  And I think it's also appropriate and useful to try to learn from the
experience with 6to4, even if we realize that 6to4 will never be a generally
applicable IPv6 transition solution again.

And maybe, just maybe, Experimental will be enough of a "slap" at 6to4 to
mollify the "kill it yesterday" crowd.  For one thing, it clearly indicates
that 6to4 is no longer a standard.

But in order to quieten down the discussion here, I suggest that people reply
to me privately if they can't live with this.   If I get lots of those replies,
I'll know that it's not worth pursuing.

Keith