Re: Confidentiality notices on email messages

2011-07-14 11:38:51
They don't have legal value, period.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 14, 2011, at 11:28 AM, Alessandro Vesely <vesely(_at_)tana(_dot_)it>
wrote:

On 14/Jul/11 03:48, John Levine wrote:
Yes, and perhaps disclaimers/confidentiality notices should be
standardized with their own MIME type to make automatic processing
easier so receivers of this kind of notice (mailing-list or other)
can respect the wishes of the sender.

That respect would of course be demonstrated by rejecting or
discarding the mail unread, to avoid any possibility that it could
fall into the wrong hands.

Yes, with the possible exception of recipients deploying a Treacherous
Computing environment that includes checks against forwarding or
replying with non fair use quotations of confidential messages.

PS: Perhaps I should propose a revised RFC 5617 adding dkim=confidential.

One can sign the "Sensitivity" header field defined by RFC 2156.  It
can have the values "Personal" / "Private" / "Company-Confidential".

However, I received some messages bearing a confidentiality notice but
missing this field entirely.  Even the TC system above could hardly
cope with such inconsistent settings.  Do notices still retain any
legal value in such cases?