Re: [v6ops] 6to4v2 (as in ripv2)?

2011-07-27 11:02:45
Hi,

On 27 July 2011 22:15, Keith Moore <moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com>
wrote:

On Jul 27, 2011, at 7:09 AM, Fred Baker wrote:

On Jul 26, 2011, at 6:49 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Since 6to4 is a transition mechanism it has no long term future *by
definition*. Even if someone chooses to design a v2, who is going to
implement it?

Actually, I think one could argue pretty effectively that 6rd is
6to4-bis.

only if you're confused about the use cases for each.

In my opinion:

6to4 use case
- D.I.Y setup - no ISP involvement
- depend upon kindness of strangers to run the anycast relays
- some users have hard-to-solve reliability problems
- experimental / historic / not-recommended - should be off by default
- for users who would prefer "unreliable IPv6" to "no IPv6"

6rd use case
- configuration parameters set by ISP
- ISP runs the relays
- apparently production quality (see free.fr)
- for users who would prefer "no IPv6" to "unreliable Internet"

I agree that 6rd is not a replacement protocol for the 6to4 use case.

I will argue that the "6rd use case" is a replacement for the "6to4 use
case".
[ And that native dual-stack is a replacement for both. ]
We want normal users to move past "experimental IPv6" towards "production
IPv6".

Thanks,
    John