draft-housley-two-maturity-levels

2011-07-27 16:46:50
After extensive discussion on this list and in the IESG Russ has decided to make a reduced proposal. I am now initiating a new Last Call to gauge consensus on the new version. I believe this version is more focused, narrower, and removes many of the parts that people had problems with in the previous Last Call. This version certainly does not solve all problems in the IETF process, but I at least see this as a small positive step.

But this is obviously also a different proposal so discussion is required to move forward. I did not think we had consensus to move forward with the previous version. I do not yet know if we have consensus to move forward with this. But at least the proposal is now clearer which should make it possible to get a better view of whether the core of Russ' proposal has support to move forward. I certainly hope it does.

The proposal still cuts the number of levels to two, and removes the yearly review. However, downref changes, motivations related to too much scrutiny, discussion of the STD number, etc. are gone. (Many of the things taken out of this proposal can be worthwhile topics to pursue, but if we take them forward we need to do so separately.)

Here's the link:

 http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-housley-two-maturity-levels

Diff to the previously last called version:

http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-06.txt&url2=draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-08.txt

Jari