Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels

2011-07-30 11:56:33
On 7/28/11 9:03 AM, Eric Burger wrote:

On Jul 28, 2011, at 8:19 AM, Scott O. Bradner wrote:
1/ I still see no reason to think that this change will cause any
significant change in the percent of Proposed Standards that move up the
(shorter) standards track since the proposal does nothing to change the
underlying reasons that people do not expend the effort needed to
advance documents

And the real question is, are we moving forward? I think that we are not moving
as far as we originally wanted. However, I offer we are moving a baby step
forward, and as such is worthwhile doing.

Let's just make this baby step and stop worrying about it.

Not to pick on Eric and Brian alone; I put this to everyone.

I *really* want an answer to the issue that Scott raises. Eric and Brian each refer to a "baby step". A baby step toward what exactly?

If the answer is simply, "to align documentation with current procedure", that's fine, but then I want to know: a) Why is it useful and positive to line up documentation with current procedure? That is, what are we gaining by publishing this? and b) This document is identical to neither 2026 *nor* current procedure, so how is it accomplishing the goal of aligning with current procedure anyway?

If the answer is, "Yes, this document will cause a change in the percent of Proposed Standards that move up", then I want to know "How?", because like Scott, I haven't heard the answer stated in this dicussion.

If you think I've missed an obvious alternative reason to go ahead with this document, I'm open to hear it, but it sounds like the only two alternatives expressed so far are, "Document current practice" and "Improve number of documents moving along standards track", and I haven't heard how this document does either of those things.

I consider this an open, unaddressed, issue.

pr

Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102