Re: Why the IESG needs to review everything...

2011-07-27 18:13:41
Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Responding to Glen Zorn's question in plenary:

Firstly, not all ADs review all drafts - that's why you will see
numerous "no objection" or missing ballot responses.

I can understand the resource contention when reading drafts
brought to the IESG.  I would not expect that more than 25% of
the IESG members have reviewed a draft (no average) when it is
up for ballot.  But for _standards_action_, I would probably
appreciate if there was a minimum requirement of "yes" ballots
(definitely more than just one) based on independently formed
opinions, which requires some level of review of a document.

According to rfc2026:

   4.2.2   Informational

   An "Informational" specification is published for the general
   information of the Internet community, and does not represent an
   Internet community consensus or recommendation.  [...]

   4.1.1   Proposed Standard

   [...]
   A Proposed Standard specification is generally stable, has resolved
   known design choices, is believed to be well-understood, has received
   significant community review, and appears to enjoy enough community
   interest to be considered valuable. [...]

While I'm OK seeing just a single "yes" on the IESG ballot for
Informational, I feel quite uncomfortable with a single "yes"
for a standards action.

-Martin