RE: On attending BoFs

2011-07-28 15:24:26
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Murray S. Kucherawy
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:06 PM
To: IETF discussion list
Subject: On attending BoFs

I've been encouraged to say this to a wider audience, so here I am.

A BoF is the IETF's tool for gauging interest in a new topic and a
potential working group charter.  This doesn't just mean a showing of
people that would track this work if it were to begin, but really the
main purpose is to determine the level of commitment to do the work,
which includes things like counting people willing to review and
comment on documents, people willing to act as editors, potential
implementers, and perhaps potential co-chairs.

When we ask for a BoF room, we need to give an indication of estimated
attendance.  Sometimes it's hard to make a good guess and so we
underestimate, intending to keep larger rooms available for groups that
need them.  As a result, the BoF room is packed.  But when it's packed
with what have come to be known as "tourists", those people that could
be counted as committed to the work can't even get into the room, which
jeopardizes the creation of an otherwise viable working group.  I
suspect I can safely say Dave Crocker would categorize this as an
unintentional denial-of-service attack on the new work.

And it's certainly not friendly to the work that's trying to get
started by filling a seat in a room "because it's warm."

Perhaps in the future this should be mentioned to BoF attendees before
the meeting really gets going.  I certainly plan to do so for future
BoFs that I run or at which I present.

You're going to ask attendees to self-identify as tourists and leave
the room?  Today's tourists may well become tomorrow's document
editors.

BoFs are IETF's tchotchkes.  People like new things.  As an example,
Homenet is a new WG (not a BoF), and was well attended (every seat
filled, people sitting on the floor, and standing).

Let's just assign large enough rooms to BoFs and newly-formed WGs
so that the work can start in earnest.

-d