Re: On attending BoFs

2011-07-29 03:11:36
2011/7/28 Barry Leiba <barryleiba(_at_)computer(_dot_)org>

You're going to ask attendees to self-identify as tourists and leave
the room?  Today's tourists may well become tomorrow's document
editors.
Let's just assign large enough rooms to BoFs and newly-formed WGs
so that the work can start in earnest.

I agree.  If people are there paying attention, I want them there.
Lots of people don't know whether they're going to commit to doing
work until the end of the BoF, after they've heard all the stuff about
problem statement, work scope, and proposed work items.

+1.  So far I came only to one IETF meeting.  At that time I attended (as a
"tourist," as you would call it) to a couple of BoF.  My motivation for
attending was that the BoF title sounded close enough to my interests and I
wanted to know something more about it. I could not say if I was willing to
be committed in contributing in the next-to-be WG by the title (and maybe a
brief abstract) only.  Keep also in mind that, although I participate as an
individual, I have an employer and I am not entirely free to decide if
contributing in some WG or not.  (If you are curious: it turned out that one
BoF was fairly orthogonal to my interests, while the other one was
sufficiently close so that I subscribed to the WG ML and spread the word
with few of my colleagues that are more interested in the matter).

Riccardo