Re: DKIM Signatures now being applied to IETF Email

2011-07-29 04:09:51
On 28/Jul/11 18:34, t.petch wrote:
The minor point is that e-mails have just got yet bigger.  They are now
100-150%
bigger than when first I started following the IETF

According to Nielsen's Law, network connection speeds double every 21
months.  DKIM is apparently using a quite reasonable fraction of that.

But more importantly we have abolished the end-to-end principle.  If I am
going
to benefit from improved security on e-mail, I want to from the originator to
me, not some half-way house giving a spurious impression of accuracy.

Most users don't want perfect accuracy into the mail system.  Not only
because of the burden of maintaining keys, but also for concerns about
freedom of speech, right to anonymity, possibility to play jokes, and
the like.  MSA endorsement allows all that, and still delivers some
responsibility by leveraging the trust between authors and their
mailbox providers.