Re: DKIM Signatures now being applied to IETF Email

2011-07-29 10:02:40
I think that it is an error for the IETF to add DKIM signatures.  They do
indeed
tell me
which intermediary has sent me the mail, but does nothing for the 'spam' that
the
intermediary accepted in the first place (albeit there being little of that on
the IETF
managed lists).
It functions, but does not work, in that it tells me nothing about the true
origin of the communication.

What it does is allow you to assure yourself that the message was,
indeed, from an IETF mailing list (well, from an IETF email server),
and that it wasn't that someone tried to spoof that.  That, in turn,
allows you to confidently increase your trust that the message is not
spam in proportion to your confidence in the IETF's spam-filtering
capabilities.

Some of us, at least, find that useful.  Some of us might even
completely white-list IETF-signed messages.  You can make your own
choice on that.

Barry, DKIM WG chair