Re: DKIM Signatures now being applied to IETF Email

2011-07-29 07:10:29
oh boy...

On 7/29/2011 6:36 AM, Keith Moore wrote:
The Truth About DKIM <http://bbiw.net/presentations/DKIM%20Truth.pdf>

specifically slide 4.  The left hand side includes a short list of common
mis-assumptions about DKIM's meaning, along with the one correct one.  See
whether you know which is the right one.

DKIM is not my favorite protocol.  But it's not like there haven't been
several efforts to define e2e authentication for email, including PEM,
S/MIME, PGPMIME, and several others whose acronyms I'm too lazy to look up at

Since DKIM's semantic is fundamentally different from PEM, S/MIME and OpenPGP, I don't know why you cited them.

For the typically uses of 'authentication' with respect to email, DKIM does not do authentication. Please re-read the preceding sentence 10 times.

I really do suggest folks who have comments about DKIM first put some effort understanding what it does and does not do.

We've made it easy. There are multiple documents discussion what it is and how to use it.

 I don't blame the DKIM proponents for
wanting to try a different deployment model, for a different use case.

DKIM is a different semantic, not just a different implementation.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking