Re: DKIM Signatures now being applied to IETF Email

2011-07-29 05:18:48

On 7/28/2011 12:34 PM, t.petch wrote:
But more importantly we have abolished the end-to-end principle.  If I am going
to benefit from improved security on e-mail, I want to from the originator to
me, not some half-way house giving a spurious impression of accuracy.

The end-to-end principle is often cited as an argument for any mechanism that is not the end-nodes. I'm waiting for the day it is applied to a demand that every user's computer, tablet and smartphone be directly connected to every other one, so that we no longer suffer IP relaying by routers, since their presence violates the end-to-end principle.

With respect to DKIM, the problem with your concern is that you appear to misunderstand the function DKIM is performing. Since that's well-documented, I suggest you review how it works and what it means. In case that's too much effort, I suggest you take a look at:

   The Truth About DKIM
   <http://bbiw.net/presentations/DKIM%20Truth.pdf>

specifically slide 4. The left hand side includes a short list of common mis-assumptions about DKIM's meaning, along with the one correct one. See whether you know which is the right one.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking