Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-08.txt> (Reducing the Standards Track to Two Maturity Levels) to BCP

2011-07-29 09:39:49
Hi,

I generally support this proposal, but have some questions on Section 2.3,
"Transition to a Standards Track with Two Maturity Levels".  I am both an
author of several Draft Standards and have chaired working groups that have
produced them.

   Any protocol or service that is currently at the abandoned Draft
   Standard maturity level will retain that classification, absent
   explicit actions.  Two possible actions are available:

   (1) A Draft Standard may be reclassified as an Internet Standard as
       soon as the criteria in Section 2.2 are satisfied.

What is the process for this?  Is the IESG going to review all Draft Standards.
 Should authors and/or working groups propose a change of status as defined in
the document?  Something else?  Most draft standards very likely meet most of
the requirements listed in the document for Internet Standard.

   (2) At any time after two years from the approval of this document as
       a BCP, the IESG may choose to reclassify any Draft Standard
       document as Proposed Standard.

I think this is unfair to the people who have done considerable work to get a
document to Draft Standard.  I hope that the IESG would only do this after
giving a lot of notice to the authors, appropriate working groups, and the IETF
community to give them the opportunity to request advancement to Internet
Standard.

I think this Section of the document needs to provide additional detail on how
this should work.

Regards,
Bob