Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-08.txt> (Reducing the Standards Track to Two Maturity Levels) to BCP

2011-07-29 11:53:38

On 7/29/2011 11:13 AM, Russ Housley wrote:
(2) At any time after two years from the approval of this document as a
BCP, the IESG may choose to reclassify any Draft Standard document as
Proposed Standard.

I think this is unfair to the people who have done considerable work to get
a document to Draft Standard.  I hope that the IESG would only do this
after giving a lot of notice to the authors, appropriate working groups,
and the IETF community to give them the opportunity to request advancement
to Internet Standard.

This was added after the discussion that Draft Standards could linger for a
very long time.  Some people said that would not be a problem, and other
people said it would be harmful.  I conclude that no one knows, so we should
include the powers necessary to resolve the problems if they emerge.  If they
do not emerge, there is no requirement that the IESG do anything.

If a document no longer has anyone watching it, there's a reasonable concern
that it no longer has much constituency. In that case, it's better to treat it as immature rather than mature.

I think this Section of the document needs to provide additional detail on
how this should work.

I do not think we should add speculation about the potential problems to this
document.

+1

d/
--