Re: A modest proposal...

2011-08-01 14:58:28
On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Hadriel Kaplan
<HKaplan(_at_)acmepacket(_dot_)com> wrote:

Fascinating.  I had no idea that there even *was* such a phrase in common
usage, let alone that there was known etymology for it.  One learns something
new every day.
But I meant it quite literally: a moderate/humble/etc. proposal for Friday
meeting schedule.

English is funny that way, and it's one of the things that make it
such a difficult language to learn.  A great deal of the meaning is
not in the literal meaning of a given chain of words, but is also
contained in the historical and literary allusions that given phrases
may have, which often have the direct opposite or at least very
different meaning than the literal words.

..m