Re: Agenda known in advance? was Re: Experiment for different schedule for Friday

2011-08-23 08:48:59
Shane:

The IESG is considering a different schedule for the Friday of IETF 82.
 The IESG is seeking your input on these potential changes.

The IESG would like to try a schedule experiment on Friday, using this
schedule:

In principle this makes sense, but do people think that the IETF meeting
agenda will remain unknown and unknowable until the very last minute? As
we see in the Tao of the IETF:

       ... the agenda is fluid, and there have been many instances of
       participants missing important sessions due to last-minute
       scheduling changes after their travel plans were fixed. Being
       present the whole week is the only way to avoid this annoyance.

This has happened to me in the past... more than an "annoyance" since
there were three working groups I really wanted to join in the physical
meeting and I missed one. A transcontinental flight, hotel stays, and
time away from the "day job" are a heavy price that is more than
"annoying" when you miss 1/3 of the meetings.

If the idea of not fixing agendas is to remain, then any experiments for
extending the Friday schedule pretty much mean that everyone has to
extend their stay, doesn't it? I think if we want to use Friday time
properly, then this ideology needs to go.

Or maybe it already has and I misunderstand things!

The important dates page for the meeting
<http://www.ietf.org/meeting/cutoff-dates-2011.html#IETF82> shows a date for
the draft agenda and a date for the final agenda.  We try very hard to make no
changes after the final agenda date.  Sometimes changes are unavoidable because
the Area Directors learn about WG-specific details that cause conflicts.  That
said, we do our best to keep to the final agenda.

Russ