Re: https

2011-08-27 08:53:47
On Aug 26, 2011, at 10:24 AM, Tim Bray wrote:

I'm increasingly coming to think that *everything* should be done with
TLS unless you can prove it's harmful.  Call me paranoid, but given
the general state of the world, secure-by-default seems like the way
to go.  -Tim

You're not alone.  I think one reason this discussion suddenly flared up so
dramatically is that this is at least as much a political issue as a technical
one, and therefore not exactly the IETF's bailiwick.  EFF certainly seems to
think so:

        http://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

Nowadays the only reason I can see for not wanting to use any form of
encryption you can, anywhere and anytime you can, is a desire to make it easier
for governments to snoop on you.  Even flawed or partial schemes can provide
some protection if deployed widely enough -- it's the same principle as
steganography, more or less.  -- Nathaniel