Re: authenticated archives, was https

2011-08-29 09:59:38
On 27 Aug 2011, at 19:42 , Joel jaeggli wrote:

In the mean time, I would like TLS exterminated from the IETF website - any
reason will do - since the cost to me far outweighs the benefit.  So who
decided to put it in, and on what grounds?

Good question. For me it also causes more trouble than benefits. But let's
split the difference and let the HTTP and HTTPS sites exist side by side for
all pages that contain public information.

The datatracker, wikis, working group chairs pages, registration,
mailing list management and tools sites all support authentication, I
would find it completely unacceptable to pass my credentials  or
activities I engaged in once authenticated in the clear.

There's more to life than HTTPS. Such as digest authentication, which is
probably sufficient for most of the above.