Re: authenticated archives, was https

2011-08-29 10:20:09
Keith Moore wrote:
On Aug 27, 2011, at 10:31 AM, John Levine wrote:

TLS for session privacy is nice, but I find negligible value in a
little lock icon in my browser that means only that one of the several
dozen cert issuers configured into my browser, most of whom I've never
heard of, and many of whom aren't even the organization in the cert
name, signed something.

+1. IMO browser vendors have made TLS nearly useless for web browsing by including so many default CAs; some with dubious integrity, and a few with a demonstrated lack of integrity.

Interesting viewpoint. Are you advocating for a monopoly or oligopoly centralization?

I having read anyone mention OCSP (Online Certificate Status Protocol) which use to be off by default, but appears to be enabled by default now by updated browsers. It was a painful to solve a customer problem when most browser work fine with a brand new certificate but failed when newer browser had OCSP enabled. Some miscommunication issue on the type of certificate brought and wildcard domains. The CA has revoked it but only via OSCP was it detectable.

The ongoing direction of dynamic tracking of anything and anyone continues to amaze me.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com