Re: 2119bis

2011-08-30 21:26:53
Just responding to a small part, here:

  B) RFC2119 states SHOULD is the same as the adjective "RECOMMENDED."

As far I am concern, a recommendation is not a mandate nor obligation.

The problem we have with using what look like English words for these
things is that people have expectations about what those words mean.
Notwithstanding that, these words, in this context, are technical
terms, not English words.  One can't look them up in a dictionary, nor
use one's own sense, as a speaker of English, to determine what they
mean.  One must only use what RFC 2119 says.

It says this:

   3. SHOULD This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean
   that there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore
   a particular item, but the full implications must be understood and
   carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

That's not the same as many people's understanding of the English
meaning of the words "should" and "recommended", which are similar in
appearance to the technical terms defined in RFC 2119.

Of course, then we run into interpretations of the definitions of the
terms, and exactly what that sentence in item 3 in RFC 2119 *means*,
but I'm not getting into that here.  This may be where you, I, Peter,
and/or the AD in question differ.

But don't make the mistake of thinking that, in the context of RFC
2119, one can use one's own English sense of what the meanings of
these terms are.

Barry