Re: [mpls] [PWE3] IETF Last Call comment on draft-ietf-pwe3-gal-in-pw

2011-09-02 05:08:05
Sasha,

On your final comment on the concept of an MPLS-TP PW, RFC5586 has already made
the distinction between the use of the GAL on PWs in MPLS-TP and in other MPLS
environments. This draft aligns the two cases in terms of the applicability of
the GAL, by updating RFC5586 to remove the restriction on its use and position
in an MPLS-TP environment.

The case of interconnecting PW segments on MPLS-TP to PW segments on general
MPLS networks should be discussed elsewhere, IMHO, as the interaction between
the GAL and hashing on some PW segments is most likely not the only issue.
RFC5921 rules out the use of ECMP in MPLS-TP networks, so one would not expect
an MPLS-TP PSN to hash the flow label today. If that is going to change or if
there are other flow label applications in MPLS-TP, then IMHO drafts detailing
those applications should discuss the interaction with the GAL.

Regards,

Matthew

On 02/09/2011 06:05, "Alexander Vainshtein"
<Alexander(_dot_)Vainshtein(_at_)ecitele(_dot_)com<mailto:Alexander(_dot_)Vainshtein(_at_)ecitele(_dot_)com>>
 wrote:

Stewart,
Lots of thanks for a prompt response.

My original email contained a typo (S-PE instead of T-PE  named as inserting )
which I've acknowledged and corrected in this thread (please see
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/pwe3/current/msg12586.html).

With this correction in mind, the example I've presented (an MS-PW that
originates in a T-PE in a MPLS-TP domain and them crosses - at S-PE - into an
IP/MPLS domain) matches, IMHO, Yaakov's question. And if the operator wishes to
improve traffic distribution in the IP/MPLS domain which employs ECMP, flow
labels would be inserted by T-PE.

I believe that the change in draft-ietf-pwe3-gal-in-pw that you've proposed
inhttp://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/pwe3/current/msg12613.html resolves the
original issue I've raised of both GAL and flow label "competing" for the BoS
position.

However, a conceptual question - can any MPLS-TP restrictions be placed on
PWs?- remains open as noted in Greg's comment (please see
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/pwe3/current/msg12620.html). IMHO and FWIW
we should acknowledge the fact (implicitly recognized  already in RFC 5920)
that there is simply no such thing as a MPLS-TP PW.

Hopefully this note clarifies my position on the subject.

Regards, and apologies for the original typo,
     Sasha