Re: Conclusion of the last call on draft-housley-two-maturity-levels

2011-09-10 22:02:55
Amazing, this all seems to be a rehash of the RFC3844 WG (2002 - 2004) debates and discussions:

   http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/problem-statement

The June 2003 quarter seems to be an interesting period of discussions touching based with many of the central issues.

--

John C Klensin wrote:
Eric,

Thomas may well have a different answer but, speaking
personally, if we have a choice between a nominal three-step
process that is actually one-step with a few exceptions and a
nominal two-step process that is actually one-step with a few
exceptions, I think we would be much better off with a one-step
process.   Ideally, we should be able to annotate that one-step
process with how mature we think a spec is, but the "facing
reality" situation is that, unless we can change how we and the
marketplace do things, we have a one-step process today and
trying to cut things from unused-three to unused-two
accomplishes nothing other than giving us an extra opportunity
to confirm our failure to be able to use a multi-step process.

I'd find a change to one-step a lot easier to support than a
change to two-step, if only because moving to one-step is not
only closer to present reality but also would give us a starting
part for new work to express maturity (if we still care).
Two-step neither gets us to present reality nor gets us away
from the idea that the multistep model actually expresses
maturity and other useful information.

    john

--On Saturday, September 10, 2011 21:26 -0400 Eric Burger