Re: Conclusion of the last call on draft-housley-two-maturity-levels

2011-09-11 20:28:26

--On Sunday, September 11, 2011 18:01 -0400 Hector
<sant9442(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

John C Klensin wrote:

--On Sunday, September 11, 2011 11:57 -0400 Russ Housley
However, if we go straight to a one-level now, and then learn
that a two-level would have been better, we would be stuck.
But I also don't see any advantage in prolonging the
discussion. If I correctly understand Jari's note, the IESG
has decided that there is adequate consensus for this move.
Either people will appeal that decision after it is formally
announced or they won't.  I would hope that, even if there is
an appeal, it would not reopen the discussions we have been
having over and over again.  If no one does, or if any appeal
that is ultimately filed is ultimately rejected, my hope is
that we can all pull together to try to make this work.

Do you have list of documents that might immediately benefit
or would be top candidates to be moved to IS?  Top ten?

FWIW, I was wondering which BIS documents with no RFC
publication dates would be candidates.  93 total.

Based on the first few, there are a bunch of errors in your
list.  I'd think the likely candidates of this type would be
documents that have been approved, or are near approval, for
Draft Standard.  The more interesting case would be documents
like 5321.  There is no question about either interoperability
or wide deployment and use, but, given outstanding errata, the
list of proposed changes in the YAM preevaluation document, and
other issues that have come up, I doubt that there would be
consensus for moving the existing document to full standard.  On
the other hand, this change does not increase the motivation to
do more work on it and may decrease it, so it is, as I said, and
interesting case.

A few comments about part of your list below...

DRAFT                                              INITDATE
DAYS REVS CSTATE
-------------------------------
draft-ietf-appsawg-rfc3536bis                      2011-05-06
128   4     RFC Ed Queue
    Already published as RFC 6365, a BCP and hence irrelevant to
the "maturity level" discussion.

draft-ietf-yam-rfc4409bis                          2011-05-06
128   0     Publication Requested
    In queue for publication as full/Internet standard.
Therefore presumably unaffected by this change.

draft-ietf-appsawg-rfc3536bis                      2011-05-02
132   0     RFC Ed Queue
     See above.  You appear to have counted this document at
least three times.

draft-iesg-rfc1150bis                              2011-04-22
142   0     RFC Ed Queue
draft-iesg-rfc1150bis                              2011-04-22
142   0     RFC Ed Queue
      Published as RFC 6360, an informational document and hence
unaffected by this change.  Note: probably counted twice.

draft-faibish-nfsv4-pnfs-block-disk-protection     2011-03-07
188   0     ID Exists
       I have no personal information on this document.

draft-hoffman-rfc3536bis                           2011-03-07
188   0     ID Exists
       This document was replaced by
draft-ietf-appsawg-rfc3536bis and then by RFC 6365, for which
see above.

And so on.  The number using these criteria would appear to be
somewhat smaller than you believe.

    john