Re: TSVDIR review of draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-dns-srv-namespace

2011-09-13 11:10:58
On Sep 13, 2011, at 11:25 AM, Joe Touch wrote:

On Sep 12, 2011, at 8:09 PM, Keith Moore
<moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> wrote:
SRV indicates the port number (useful if not the default) and weight, etc.

right.  but given that you can include the same things in a TXT record, if
you have to query for TXT RRs anyway, what's the value added by doing an
additional query for SRV RRs?
I'd be very happy to see SRV records deprecated, or at least discouraged,
for new protocols.
But I don't think the Internet is desperate enough to want to fix DNS yet.

I conclude from this sequence that you would prefer to reinvent the DNS
inside TXT records (which is possible, but fruitless), and that others do
this on your behalf.

This is outside the focus of this thread.

Again, Joe, you're really bad at trying to discern my motives.  I suggest you
reread what I've written and take it at face value.

Keith