Re: Wikis for RFCs

2011-09-19 22:28:14
I think a wiki per RFC with any sort of official IETF status is a bad
idea that would create many cesspools of controversy.

Donald

On 9/19/11, Melinda Shore <melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
On 9/19/11 8:14 AM, Alejandro Acosta wrote:
+1
I also support the idea of every RFC havving the associated wiki.

I don't.  I'm basically in Paul's camp, although I don't think the
greatest risk is that there'd be a negative impact on how the
organization will be perceived by the community (although I agree
that there's considerable risk of that).  I wouldn't want to
provide a forum for contentious discussions will never, ever end,
that nothing will ever be resolved, and that people who can't
accept organizational decisions will continue to fight those
battles on the wiki.

I think there's value in wikis to which people can contribute
implementation and deployment notes, but only if there's a way
to head off endless wars about stuff that's already been resolved
by the IETF.

Melinda

Thanks,
Donald