Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-09-22 09:21:12
Regarding the delegating the IETF chair participation in the IAOC,

On 9/22/2011 8:55 AM, Bob Hinden wrote:
IETF Chair

The IETF chair is chosen by the nomcom.  The job requirements are clear in
advance.  Anyone applying is aware of the job.  I don't think the IETF Chair
position on the IAOC and IETF Trust can be delegated to anyone else without
serious risk to the overall IETF standards operation.  The IETF chair needs to
be a voting IAOC and IETF Trust member.  Too much of the IETF operation for
it's successful operation is tied to the IETF chair for he/she to delegate it
to anyone else.  It's just part of the job.

I think we should look for other ways to reduce the load on IETF chair, like
giving up the general area (have a separate AD for that), or a more
comprehensive change to the IESG where more of the decisions are moved to
individual areas (e.g., add an other level to the IESG).  The IESG is getting
large for a flat management structure.

Bob

When I read this, I feel like I am missing something.
When I saw the first note along these lines, I understood it.
Since then, there have been notes raising substantive disagreements with this. It has been observed that a new IETF chair does not bring the very things that are asked for. it has been observed that one of the important parts of the IAOC participation by the IETF Chair is bringing information back to the IESG. And that such would often be better done by someone else. It has been observed that having a different participant would provide more manpower with more time to actually participate in the IAOC. It has been observed that having another individual charged with bringing the broad perspective does not seem inherently impossible.

I would like some understanding of how these factors play into the view that only the IETFC chair can do this job.

Yours,
Joel