Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-09-23 02:49:55
Frank,

On Sep 23, 2011, at 10:45 AM, Frank Ellermann wrote:

On 22 September 2011 20:02, Michael StJohns wrote:

I actually think that delegating this to a co-chair or executive
vice chair would work.  The similar military model is
commander/executive officer where the commander (chair) is
responsible for strategic thinking and the XO (co-chair) is
responsible for tactical execution.  Also the commander tends to
be outward facing and the XO inward facing.

I don't know that the models are close enough to be a perfect fit,
but they might suggest some ways of splitting up the load.

A "general area" with two ADs like all other areas, where one AD is
the Chair, and the other AD the XO, sounds like a good idea.  Do
they decide who does what, and swap roles when they feel like it,
or is that predetermined by NomCom?

I think the IESG defines it's structure (e.g., deciding on a new area, two ADs
per area, etc), then Nomcom then fills the positions.

Bob