Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-09-23 02:55:12
Jari,

On Sep 21, 2011, at 5:50 PM, Jari Arkko wrote:

Bob,

Goggle translate was helpful here :-)

Good... and next time when we meet over beer I can reveal the correct
translation :-)

Cool!

I do like your idea that IAOC itself needs to work smarter though. It
should really be just a board, not the guys doing the actual work. As an
outsider, it sometimes feels like you guys are doing too much. In any case,
if you and Bob think this would be a good direction for the IAOC to take,
can you comment how feasible it is? Has it been tried, could it be tried?
(And shouldn't it already be done if it was easy?)
I am not sure what you mean by the members of the IAOC doing the actual
work.  The IAD does most of the work behind the scenes.  That includes
writing RFPs, motions, budgets, SOWs, agendas, works with the volunteer
minute takers to produce the minutes, organizes contractor reviews,
negotiates with contractors, works with ISOC finance department, works with
legal council, organizes conference calls and meetings, etc., etc.  The
secretariat does the leg work to collect information on venues, costs,
hotels, etc.  The IAOC voting members review, comment, approve/disapprove
things, but that's not where most of the real work is.  The voting members
are responsible for the decisions and actions.  I want to make it clear that
most of the actual work is not done by the voting members.   Given the
source of our members, we do tend to get involved in details for better or
worse.  The IAOC (and Trust chairs) have a bigger load than the rest of the
voting members.

This all sounds good. But do you agree that workload for the chairs is an
issue? Because I thought Jonne was saying that it is an issue and the
solutions should come from a better organization within the IAOC rather than
from Olaf's proposal. But if I read the above, it almost sounds like you
think everything is done pretty much as well as it can be done, and there's
little to change. Up-leveling the discussion: I guess we need to agree about
the problem statement before we can talk about the solutions.

Firstly, I was correcting your assertion that the IAOC voting members were
doing most of the work.

I am sure things can be improved, but I don't think the work load of the IAOC
voting members is onerous.  Certainly, less than, for example, being on the
IESG.  It's not a full time job.  I think there is a reasonable balance between
what the IAD and contractors/staff do and the IAOC voting members, not perfect
of course.  It may be working better now than earlier.

I do agree that there are issues with the load of the I* chairs.  My issue is
with this solution.

Bob

Jari