Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-09-23 03:05:02
Olaf,

On Sep 21, 2011, at 7:59 PM, Olaf Kolkman wrote:

On Sep 21, 2011, at 4:27 PM, Bob Hinden wrote:

It is important for the I* chairs to be connected with the community.
It is important for the IAOC to be connected with the community.
It is important for the I* chairs to be informed about what is happening in
the IAOC
It is important for the IAOC to be informed about what the I* chairs find
important.

Yes, but I don't understand your point.  We get that today with the current
makeup.  Your proposal breaks these links.

Oops..I did not finish the paragraph.

That makes more sense :-)

Retry:
It is important for the I* chairs to be connected with the community.
It is important for the IAOC to be connected with the community.
It is important for the I* chairs to be informed about what is happening in
the IAOC
It is important for the IAOC to be informed about what the I* chairs find
important.

I claim that the first two items are independent of I* chairs being voting
members of the IAOC.

I also claim that for the third item there is no necessity for the I* chairs
to be a voting member, nor for the fourth. That said, I am sensitive to the
argument that if I* chairs are members they may actually pay more attention
(human nature and such) and that being effective at those item without being
a member is tough.

I theory I can agree, but in practice I think the more separation there is the
more likelihood for organizational problems.  The point I am trying to make is
that there needs to be close coordination between the IESG/IAB/ISOC and having
a responsible person (currently the chairs, there are other possibilities as
outlined in some other emails, XO model, etc.) taking voting responsibility is
the best way to implement that.  It won't happen if it's just another person
the, for example, the IESG appoints as your proposal sugests.  Likewise, I
don't think having the chairs be non-voting members will work because the
chairs are too busy for this to work over time.

Bob