Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-09-21 08:24:17
Jari,

On Sep 19, 2011, at 4:10 PM, Jari Arkko wrote:

Bob,

I appreciate your view on this, particularly when you are day-to-day seeing
how the current system works with IAOC.

Thanks.  I also note that several past IAOC chairs have expressed concern about
this proposal as well.  That should be given some weight.

That being said, I do think it is important to give some flexibility to
chairs on organizing their work. And it is important to provide tools for
them to manage their time, including ability to delegate some tasks.

For sure, but why only address this aspect of their jobs?  We should be talking
about the general problem before evaluating a point solution.  We don't
normally take this approach when chartering working groups, their usually has
to be a discussion of the problems before proposing specific solutions.

I understand the point about chairs being involved. But I'm also sure there
will never be an IAB/IETF chair who would ignore important IAOC business.
This draft is about the ability (but not a requirement) of the chairs to
delegate most of the day-to-day business and just stay on for the important
stuff. One practical issue is that if the chairs under today's rules would
stay out of the day-to-day business, that would mean missing one voting
member. I'm not sure that is desirable either, and I really don't think you
want to force them to be in every meeting.

I don't think it so easy to distinguish between "important IAOC business" vs.
"day to day".  "Day to day" decisions can have unexpected consequences.  It's
just not that black and white.  Also, different chairs get involved in
different things.  The IETF chair is very involved in tools, secretariat
related issues, venues, the IAB chair is involved in RFC editor related issues,
the ISOC CEO is very involved in the budget.  It's not all the same.  Their
involvement varies a lot depending on the topic and their role.

The proposal treats them all the same.

I also understand the point about chairs sharing the responsibility for
decisions. I just don't think the suggested new scheme would affect that. The
IAOC would for sure still listen to a message from the chairs very carefully.
And if you are in any board with multiple people having voting power, if the
rest of the board ignores your opinion it really doesn't matter if you lost
by 1-9 or by 0-9... (and again, any of the chairs would for sure still be
behind the decisions anyway.)

Having a vote is very different from just being an advisor.

I also think that over time, the chairs will become less involved in the IAOC
because they are busy.  It doesn't make sense to me to say on one hand that the
chairs are too busy to be voting members of the IAOC, but at the same time they
will have enough time to effect important decisions.  It doesn't work that way
in practice.

Bob