Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-09-19 08:10:38
Bob,

I appreciate your view on this, particularly when you are day-to-day seeing how
the current system works with IAOC.

That being said, I do think it is important to give some flexibility to chairs
on organizing their work. And it is important to provide tools for them to
manage their time, including ability to delegate some tasks.

I understand the point about chairs being involved. But I'm also sure there
will never be an IAB/IETF chair who would ignore important IAOC business. This
draft is about the ability (but not a requirement) of the chairs to delegate
most of the day-to-day business and just stay on for the important stuff. One
practical issue is that if the chairs under today's rules would stay out of the
day-to-day business, that would mean missing one voting member. I'm not sure
that is desirable either, and I really don't think you want to force them to be
in every meeting.

I also understand the point about chairs sharing the responsibility for
decisions. I just don't think the suggested new scheme would affect that. The
IAOC would for sure still listen to a message from the chairs very carefully.
And if you are in any board with multiple people having voting power, if the
rest of the board ignores your opinion it really doesn't matter if you lost by
1-9 or by 0-9... (and again, any of the chairs would for sure still be behind
the decisions anyway.)

Jari