Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-09-23 10:16:34

On Sep 23, 2011, at 10:04 AM, Bob Hinden wrote:

I theory I can agree, but in practice I think the more separation there is
the more likelihood for organizational problems.  The point I am trying to
make is that there needs to be close coordination between the IESG/IAB/ISOC
and having a responsible person (currently the chairs, there are other
possibilities as outlined in some other emails, XO model, etc.) taking voting
responsibility is the best way to implement that.  It won't happen if it's
just another person the, for example, the IESG appoints as your proposal
sugests.  Likewise, I don't think having the chairs be non-voting members
will work because the chairs are too busy for this to work over time.

I do not yet see how the other proposal, which is about diluting responsibility
over more person, will keep the persons that end up being chair better
informed. But that is because I have not seen the details. Remember that my
proposal started out with allowing the chairs to delegate. In a way the
alternative proposals may be subject to the same critique.

I am also not 100% sure that close coordination between the IESG/IAB/ISOC means
that the chairs need to participate in each others meeting. It might be much
more effective if they have a meeting among each other to exchange high-level
information and 'heads-ups'.

--Olaf (keeps listening)

http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/