Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-09-28 19:56:01
Yes, there's no doubt that the IESG needs to have strong input into
IASA decisions; there is no way round that. But it isn't clear to me
that this must be the IESG Chair's job, if we had a model where the
IETF Chair and IESG Chair were two different people. As long as it's
one person, this is a zero-sum game.

It seems to me that the basic problem with this whole argument is that
you can't force people to pay attention by making rules, particularly
if the attention shortage is due to lack of time rather than lack of
interest.

I would rather have somebody show up at my meetings who has delegated
authority, enough time to pay attention and think about the issues,
and a good working relationship with the chair than insist that a
harried chair call in and mute his phone so everyone one else can't
hear that he's answering e-mail about all the other stuff he has to
do.

R's,
John