Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-09-21 09:51:22
Bob,

Goggle translate was helpful here :-)

Good... and next time when we meet over beer I can reveal the correct
translation :-)

I do like your idea that IAOC itself needs to work smarter though. It should
really be just a board, not the guys doing the actual work. As an outsider, it
sometimes feels like you guys are doing too much. In any case, if you and Bob
think this would be a good direction for the IAOC to take, can you comment how
feasible it is? Has it been tried, could it be tried? (And shouldn't it already
be done if it was easy?)
I am not sure what you mean by the members of the IAOC doing the actual work.
The IAD does most of the work behind the scenes.  That includes writing RFPs,
motions, budgets, SOWs, agendas, works with the volunteer minute takers to
produce the minutes, organizes contractor reviews, negotiates with contractors,
works with ISOC finance department, works with legal council, organizes
conference calls and meetings, etc., etc.  The secretariat does the leg work to
collect information on venues, costs, hotels, etc.  The IAOC voting members
review, comment, approve/disapprove things, but that's not where most of the
real work is.  The voting members are responsible for the decisions and
actions.  I want to make it clear that most of the actual work is not done by
the voting members.   Given the source of our members, we do tend to get
involved in details for better or worse.  The IAOC (and Trust chairs) have a
bigger load than the rest of the voting members.

This all sounds good. But do you agree that workload for the chairs is an
issue? Because I thought Jonne was saying that it is an issue and the solutions
should come from a better organization within the IAOC rather than from Olaf's
proposal. But if I read the above, it almost sounds like you think everything
is done pretty much as well as it can be done, and there's little to change.
Up-leveling the discussion: I guess we need to agree about the problem
statement before we can talk about the solutions.

Jari