Re: watersprings.org archive of expired Internet Drafts

2011-10-11 01:40:22
On 10/10/11 02:23 , t.petch wrote:
---- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Reschke" <julian(_dot_)reschke(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de>
To: "t.petch" <daedulus(_at_)btconnect(_dot_)com>
Cc: "Frank Ellermann" <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>;
<ietf@
ietf.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2011 3:07 PM

On 2011-10-08 09:20, t.petch wrote:

If I'm looking for an internet draft where I only know parts of the name I
usually use a search engine; that's what they are for.
With the current flavour of the IETF web site, I usually go via charters -
WG -
I-D list and then find 103 I-Ds in an order I cannot divine, give up and
accept
that I will have to type in
d r a f t - i e t f - w g etc etc. Another waste of my time along with gif
download, xml processing etc oh, did I mention all the javascripts that try
out think me and get in the way?  mutter mutter

What does XML have to do with all of this?

Julian

On a thread on this list some time ago, IANA reported progress in converting
their web site to XML and at the same time, apologised for how long it now
takes
to access the Port Registry.  Having accessed it - a good chance to complete
The
Times crossword! - I found an XML file in excess of 1Mbyte on my workstation.

It's in excess of a bit more than a megabyte.

Zorch:Desktop jjaeggli$ du -h service-names-port-numbers.xml
3.8M    (as rendered using the xsl) service-names-port-numbers.xml
3.0M    (bare) service-names-port-numbers.xml

Making a wild leap of imagination, I guessed that the time it took to access
the
web page was due, at least in part, to these multi-megagbytes of XML, but I
could be wrong.

when we make dogfood, we can be expected to eat it from time to time.

just maybe a flat file of structured data isn't the best way to render
9125 registerd ports and 4330 people for the web.

Tom Petch

Best regards, Julian