Re: size of the XML of IANA ports

2011-10-13 14:28:33
On 10/13/11 03:41 , t.petch wrote:
Joe

When I access it, I see a 3.08Mbyte .xml file in temporary storage.
Interestingly, the text variant is still 2.7Mbyte.

My access time is variable.  When I first used the xml file, the access time
was
always in minutes, time to make a coffee, come back and continue waiting.  Now
it is variable.  On a good day, I get a page I can scroll in 35 second, other
times it is over 2 minutes.  I don't see any reason why and my network and PC
have not changed that I know of.  I am on Windows and Internet Explorer.

Interestingly, if I download a .pdf, I can track the download by looking at
the
size in temporary storage; I can do the same with the .txt, but not with the
.xml, not sure what it means, perhaps that the processing is concurrent with
the
download, and that only the end result gets written to disk.  The disk file is
.xml and not .htm(l).

no mystery...

What's been downloaded is the data, what's being saved is what the
browser renders using the DTD.

you're downloading structured data totalling  some 15000 records and the
browser is rendering it in a conveniently human readable form.

Tom Petch

Tom Petch