XML-based registry format, Re: Re: watersprings.org archive of expired Internet Drafts

2011-10-10 10:35:37
On 2011-10-10 11:23, t.petch wrote:
Julian

On a thread on this list some time ago, IANA reported progress in converting
their web site to XML and at the same time, apologised for how long it now takes
to access the Port Registry.  Having accessed it - a good chance to complete The
Times crossword! - I found an XML file in excess of 1Mbyte on my workstation.
Making a wild leap of imagination, I guessed that the time it took to access the
web page was due, at least in part, to these multi-megagbytes of XML, but I
could be wrong.

Tom Petch

Yes, that does load slow. The reason is not XML per se, but apparently the fact that the HTML table that get's generated client-side doesn't render until the transformation is finished.

And yes, if the server sends XML + XSL, this is what ends up on your machine. Otherwise it would have been HTML or TXT. That's by design.

Anyway, nothing of this applies to the tools.ietf.org thingy.

Best regards, Julian