Re: Requirement to go to meetings

2011-10-24 00:43:58
On Sun, 23 Oct 2011, Scott Brim wrote:

Some people find it difficult to participate at a rapid pace on
mailing lists, and will strongly prefer f2f.  They might also find it
difficult to participate f2f but they can control the pace more.

I've been a fairly passive meeting participant in IETF as of a few years, only been to one meeting. I don't know where work is being done at the meetings, but for some WGs with a lot of work, the official meetings are not that helpful. No real discussion can be had because of time constraints, and who can iron out a controvesial topic in a couple of hours anyway, much less 5 or 10 topics? I guess a lot of work is being done over lunch and dinner?

I feel this is a matter of culture and how people are used to work. I started using FIDONET in the 80ties, for me eletronic communication and managing lots of email is not a problem. I see other people claiming seldom reading the mailinglist discussions but instead only read drafts. Drafts for me is a good way to "sum up" a discussion, but discussing via writing drafts isn't really a discussion. I'd rather write a "summary" to the list, see if people are interested and if things make sense on a high level, and THEN perhaps a draft can be written. Spending time to write a proper draft (which takes a lot of time if it's your first time) and just having it rejected as a bad idea outright is a waste of time for everybody.

The WGs I participate in seem fine to work in without going to meetings though. I'm happy for that.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike(_at_)swm(_dot_)pp(_dot_)se