Re: LISP is not a Loc-ID Separation protocol

2011-10-29 23:31:55
Hi Masataka,

Thanks very much for your response.

Returning to the discussion of the LISP protocol, I received the
following in an off-list message:

And no, none of the LISP advocates have ever claimed that LISP was the
only Locator Identifier Separation proposal or protocol.

I think this claim is implicit in the opening words of the main LISP
protocol draft http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lisp-15 which have
been present since version 08 of 2010-08-13:

  This document describes the Locator/Identifier Separation Protocol
  (LISP), . . .

I think the claim is also implicit in the title of this draft:

  Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP)

which has remained unchanged since draft-farinacci-lisp-00 of 2007-01-17.

I think the claim is also implicit in the absence of any references to
other Locator-Identifier Separation protocols: GSE, HIP and now ILNP and
lesser known RRG proposals: GLI-Split, Name-Based Sockets and RANGI.
(See RRG msg06219.)

All these Loc-ID Separation protocols involve new host protocols to
implement the central principle of Loc-ID Separation: a new (ID)
namespace for uniquely identifying hosts.  This requires a new
stack<->application interface and for all current applications to be
substantially rewritten - though ILNP is claimed not to require either.

The LISP protocol operates on totally different principles, which I
consider a good thing - as I wrote in the first message in this thread.

Does anyone have arguments as to why the LISP protocol is a Loc-ID
Separation protocol like those just mentioned?

Alternatively, does anyone argue why the definition of "Loc-ID
Separation" should be extended to include the LISP protocol's approach?
 I believe that to extend its meaning to include this approach - and
therefore the approaches of Ivip and IRON - would fudge an important
distinction and render the term meaningless.

  - Robin