Re: The death John McCarthy - LISP, HIP & GSE

2011-10-30 03:37:26
Robin,

Like Jari and others I do not see the name as disrespectful and it is
unrealistic to believe that the loc/ID separation protocol can be
renamed. It has been around for more than 5 years it is just too late.
it seems that you are both asserting and assuming that LISP is not only
a Loc/ID Separation protocol, but "*the* Loc/ID Separation protocol".

Speaking just for myself, I have not assumed that LISP is the only identifier - locator
separation protocol. Apologies if something that I wrote mistakenly gave that impression.
As you know, there are several identifier - locator separation architectures, with very
different designs and characteristics. It would be inappropriate to claim that there is
just one, or that one particular definition is the only possible interpretation. Indeed,
the very definition of "identity" could range from something that looks very
much just like another address (LISP, Mobile IP, HBA-based SHIM6) to new identifier
concepts (HIP, CGAs) or even to DNS names.

Jari