LISP, HIP & GSE

2011-10-31 16:26:21
On 10/31/11 13:29 , Doug Barton wrote:
On 10/31/2011 10:10, Dave Cridland wrote:

The importance of point 2 cannot be overestimated. I remember the first
time I saw "LISP" on an agenda thinking "Why the heck does the IETF have
a working group for a programming language?" All such conversations
along the lines of the one that straightened me out about what LISP is
for both raise the barrier to entry for new participants and make us
look foolish, ignorant, or both.

I remember seeing the Nimrod draft and wondering what it had to do with
the tower of Babel...

In the GSE context there was Blobs of Routing Goop.

one might ask if levity is not part of our culture...

At a minimum we've got more than enough hubris to go around and if
inside jokes at our own expense defuse some of that I see no problem
with it.

An ideal outcome of this conversation would be that the LISP working
group recognize that however clever they may feel the name to be, time
has shown that it's causing more harm than good and that it's time to
pick a new one.

As for those jokers in bliss clue cuss drinks ecirt salud simple
speermint splices vipr grow dime hip trill paws yam forces karp roll emu
hokey jose kitten mile alto decade ledbat and storm, we get it, it's
time to move on.

Doug