Re: LISP, HIP & GSE

2011-10-31 18:45:25

In message <4EAF2ADE(_dot_)5020007(_at_)bogus(_dot_)com>, Joel jaeggli writes:
On 10/31/11 15:10 , Doug Barton wrote:

In the early days of what became the big-I Internet all you had was a
small group of insiders, but fortunately they were able to recognize the
magnitude of what they were accomplishing, and set up some processes to
help it grow and evolve. We do both them and the current Internet user
base a huge disservice if we do not recognize that the world we operate
in now is fundamentally different from the world that they operated in.
The Internet is now a crucial part of the world's communications
infrastructure, and every excuse is being made at every level for those
who are !us to gain as much control over it as they can.

We don't control the internet...

WSIS, IGF, ITU,
etc. are merely warning shots ... the motivation and drive toward taking
control are only going to increase as time goes on. By behaving in a
foolish and unprofessional manner we are making it easier for them.

Doug

The IETF is in good/bad[1] company.  The US Government seems to do pretty good
job
of cute names as well.

        USA PATRIOT Act.
                Uniting (and) Strengthening America (by) Providing Appropriate
Tools
                Required (to) Intercept (and) Obstruct Terrorism Act

        CAN-SPAM Act.
                Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography And
Marketing Act

        PROTECT IP Act.
                Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft
of
                Intellectual Property Act

Mark

[1] left for the reader to decide.
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org