Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

2011-11-30 00:17:39
On Nov 29, 2011 9:46 PM, "Mark Andrews" <marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org> wrote:

In message <m2r50q42nn(_dot_)wl%randy(_at_)psg(_dot_)com>, Randy Bush writes:
skype etc. will learn.  This does prevent the breakage it just makes
it more controlled.  What's the bet Skype has a patched released
within a week of this being made available?

cool.  then, by that logic, let's use 240/4.  the apps will patch within
a week.  ok, maybe two.

240/4 is not treated as unicast / routable by many OS.

Necessity is the mother of invention. There was already an assumption that
patches will be made for draft-weil, 240/4 will cut deeper for sure.

Truth told, I only started ipv6 pushing after my 240/4 efforts proved
fruitless with the ietf and my vendors.

I hope the networks supporting draft-weil can turn that same corner.

Cb

i will spare you cites to the measurements of patch installation, or
lack thereof.

Skype, by default, will tell you when there is a patch available.
Also if you don't patch you are not in a worse position than you
will be when your ISP starts to hand you ambigious addresses that
are not identified as such.

What we do in is a way for the customers to request non-ambigious
addresses in response to DHCP/PPP etc. requests along side this
allocation and for the return address to be properly annotated.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org