Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

2011-11-30 13:49:08
Bob Hinden <bob(_dot_)hinden(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Nov 30, 2011, at 6:27 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:

Seriously, I think we *SHOULD* use 240/10.
(let's keep some for the next horrible hack)

I agree, this is a good use of the "Experimental" Class E IPv4 addresses.
It seems to me that this is for new deployments (the CDN gear and new
customer CPE equipment). The operators who want this should be able to
make this work and and incur the cost for doing so.

   While I am neither for nor against allocation of a /10 from ordinary
routable space, I would strongly favor allocation of a /10 from 240/4.
It's not obvious to me from reading draft-weil why this wouldn't work;
and I believe that allocations from 240/4 are quite appropriate, given
the imminent exaustion of ordinary IPv4 space.

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>