Re: Last Call: <draft-kucherawy-dkim-atps-11.txt> (DKIM Authorized Third-Party Signers) to Experimental RFC

2011-12-02 07:52:49
Dave CROCKER wrote:

On 11/30/2011 8:09 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
As the draft says, the point is to make the idea available and see if it sticks to anyone or anything. If the bulk senders (or receivers) do decide they collectively want this, there's something for them to try and report back.

if one thinks the mechanism is a bad idea, it's still worth having a good document to describe it.l

The usual people with DKIM continue to utterly surprise me.

#1 The Author Domain verification was always in DKIM since its conception, especially as a selling and marketing point, in its presentations, and its description to news rags publishers. It was sold DKIM to me as a proof of concept.

#2 It was burned into the APIs available.

#3 It was burned into your DKIM Architectural Framework RFC5585 and it even included nice pretty ASCII-ART pictures that I am sure you are proud of:

                    |- RFC5322 Message
     +--------------------------------+
     |  Message Signed?               |
     +-----+--------------------+-----+
           |yes                  |no
           |                     |
           |SDID/AUID            |AUID
           |                     |
           V                     |
     +-------------+ SDID/AUID   |
     |  Verify     +---------+   |
     |  Signature  |         |   |
     +------+------+         |   |
        pass|            fail|   |
            V                |   |
     +-------------+         |   |
     |    SDID     |         |   |
     | Assessments |         |   |
     +-----+--+----+      +-------+
         |    |          / Check   \
         |    +--SDID-->/  Signing  \
         |             /   Practices \
         |            +-------+-------+
         |                    |
         V                    V

The issue was always how to implement it for 3rd party Signers once the DKIM mindset in its eventual RFC changed to a 3rd party signer TRUST vendor and vainly tried unsuccessfully to remove the Author Domain from the DKIM picture.

The methods for 3rd party Authorization were long conceived and the only problem was how to scale it in DNS. This I-D simply took and existing idea of having an Authorized Signer List (ASL) and offers a way to scale it.

We are probably the only vendor in the market to actively supports both the ASL idea and the ATPS idea. This is a web-based wizard we provided to customers before an internal version was provided:

   http://www.winserver.com/public/wcadsp/default.wct

It allows for DKIM author domains to create DNS records with ASL tags for ADSP records and also add ATPS sub-domain records with the BASE32 hash of the ASL domains.

The bottom line, the proof of concept works, just like it always did since it Author Domain validation was originally conceived in DKIM v1.0. The ASL and ATPS ideas simply offers a way to address the long time issues of the 3rd party signer.

The idea is good for the smaller scale. For the larger scale, it still remains a problem.

Implementation wise, it is very complex and unless the DKIM system offers the automation tools, its harder to get the layman operator to begin doing it on its own. After all, with ATPS, you have to get a utility to do the BASE32 hashing.

Finally, the public Wizard focused on Windows based records, a real one has to cover both and its needs to be BATCH so that any updates are automatically and/or delayed updated in the DNS server databases. i.e. individual updating was not good enough.

Thanks

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com