Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

2011-12-02 11:54:04
Which problem did ISPs create?

By dragging their feet to the inevitable roll-out of v6 they checked
the demand for consumer electronics compatible with v6. If v6 connectivity
had been norm 6 years ago we'd have more v6-ready devices deployed today.

The problem is three part: Connectivity / ISP, Home Ecosystem / consumer
electronics and Content.

To suggest any one entity caused this is to over simply the problem and be
disingenuous.

But to you point, many operators have been very active working with vendors
trying to get equipment to support IPv6.  This is a difficult task, but is
being done.

Some have suggested that ISPs should say "if no IPv6, then I will not buy
it".  I tired that before - I would have been left with nothing to choose
from in the space I was selecting.  There is this strange paradox in the
world... people seem to only do things when they can make money at it (not
too many saints out there).

Back to the point -  many operators are deploying IPv6, but as long as most
content and home equipment (which consumers buy from the store - not me) is
IPv4 (for the most part), connectivity alone (ISP) does not fix the problem.

regards,

Victor K

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668